As we start a new year, many individuals around the country have rededicated themselves to health and wellness in 2023 – and we hope that includes eating more of the best foods for eyes and maintaining healthy vision now and in the future. After all, eating the best foods for eyes is heavily related to eating healthy for the rest of your body systems as well. We’ve probably all heard that eating plenty of carrots can lead to better vision – and while they do rank as one of the best foods you can eat for overall vision health, there are far more healthy things that we’d consider among the best foods for eyes.
If you’re wondering what else you can do to establish and/or maintain vision wellness this year, make an appointment with our leading Nashville Optometrist. Our Nashville Eye Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Nashville on Music Row and utilizes cutting-edge technology to help deliver custom eye care for you. Make an appointment for your comprehensive exam with our Nashville eye doctor today!
Do You Eat the Best Foods for Eyes?
If you think eating carrots is all you need to do to maintain healthy eyes, you may be surprised. Though it’s true carrots are rated as one of the best foods for eyes, thanks to their hefty dose of Vitamin A-producing Beta Carotene, they aren’t the only thing you should be eating to support your overall vision health.
You probably won’t be surprised to hear this, but there are other foods you should be eating for healthy eyes, too. Just like there’s no one food to eat for a healthy heart, there’s not a singular food you should be eating for healthy eyes. Rather, the best foods for healthy eyes involve a healthy, well-rounded diet full of vitamins and minerals – particularly true if your diet includes a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, along with beans and fish.
Below, we’ve listed some of the most popular foods to support healthy eyes over the course of your life.
- In addition to carrots, there are other orange-colored foods that support the production of Vitamin A and healthy eyes. They include things like sweet potatoes, apricots, and canteloupe.
- Kale is another superfood considered one of the best foods for eyes, and it’s thanks to Kale’s concentration of lutein and zeaxanthin. Both of these compounds, which are found in a lot of dark, leafy green foods, are found in high concentrations in our retina and overall support healthy, well-functioning eyes.
- Foods rich in Vitamin C are also some of the best foods for eyes. This includes citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruit, and lemons, but also foods like red bell peppers, strawberries, and tomatoes.
- Just as healthy fats are good for your brain and cardiovascular system, things like avocados, nuts, and seeds are also considered some of the best foods for eyes. They are packed with Vitamin E.
- The Omega-3-rich cold-water fish like salmon also work wonders in helping you to prevent aging-related eye diseases. There’s also research that suggests these foods can protect against dry eye.
- Finally, make sure your diet also involves plenty of beans and other foods rich in zinc, which can help protect against damage from light (and don’t forget to continue to wear those winter sunglasses!).
We’d love to discuss how to incorporate these and other healthy foods into your diet, along with all the other things you can and should be doing to prevent eye disease and address problems as they arise. That starts with a comprehensive eye exam with our Nashville eye doctor. Book your appointment today!